SIP-12: Run a Sandbox Academy in the Philippines

I fully support this initiative! The interest in web3 gaming, especially play-to-earn models, has been growing rapidly in Southeast Asia. Introducing The Sandbox through an Academy will attract significant attention to the ecosystem, particularly because participants can not only play and earn but also create and earn. The Philippines, with its large number of gamers and tech-savvy individuals, is the ideal starting point, as it will bring in many potential key contributors to The Sandbox ecosystem. Additionally, hosting offline events with $SAND and NFT rewards will undoubtedly boost engagement and interest.

Mark is also the perfect candidate to lead this initiative. Having worked with him before, I can attest to his enthusiastic personality, which will make the learning experience both engaging and enjoyable for the students. Moreover, his track record in building awesome games and winning game jams makes him an exceptionally qualified candidate.

2 Likes

I’m happy to know that you like my initiative. Thank you for the support @MasPepper!!!

Hey @Kabayan ! I hope you had a great weekend!

Let’s start with the 10000 Sand Allowance. I really can’t call it a salary. Let’s just say a fund that would be trusted to me by the DAO and the community. And yes, I’ll do the weekend workshop for 4 hours of teaching, not chilling. That also includes 2-3 days of online workshops. And I will also put up a Sandbox booth at the university when I don’t have an online workshop during the weekdays. This is to promote Sandbox not just to the participating student builders but to the players as well. Like you, I also wanted to make sure that the community knows where the fund is going and if it is used accordingly. And not just go straight to my pocket as you have mentioned.

Oh yes, a 5-star hotel accommodation. That would be great. However, I will be staying in different places since I will be going to universities in the provinces. For the 1 month of workshop, I can go home after class since this one university is near my place. For the others, it’s 6-7 hours of travel by bus. So I will be crashing at my friend’s house for a few months. In return, I will be helping her with some of her expenses like food, water, internet & electricity bill, and 7-star accommodation from a friend who opened the doors of her house for me. For the other universities, I will check my Facebook friends list if any of them live nearby and are willing to take me in. If there’s none, then I don’t have any choice but to stay in a hotel. But don’t worry. I will start looking for 1-star hotels first, then work my way up. Hopefully, I won’t reach the 5-star. :sweat_smile:

For the 3000 SAND Laptop. No, it’s not for me but for Sandbox Academy. I only have a desktop which I use for work and building. If I ever have my own laptop I will not request this. And remember the Sandbox booth I mentioned? Where a lot of students will sign up for Sandbox? They will also be using that laptop.

And the Pizza and Drinks. 1000 SAND each for the 6 universities. My projected number of students for each university is 20-40. Not to mention the faculty members and the school assistants who will be helping me set up my booth and workshop. And they are not just ordinary pizzas. They are stuffed crust pizza with lip-scorching hot mozzarella cheese. For the drinks, I’ll just go for coke. And I will be taking home the leftovers :grin:

Sandbox Academy will be for 7 months. The first month would be for preparation. But if you think I’m asking more than I should. I’m all ears for your suggestion on how much I should be requesting from the DAO. That is why all proposals are put in drafts for 2 weeks, to get healthy feedback and suggestions from the community and make it a success if it deserves one.

Thank you for those lovely comments. I appreciate it. If you are here from the Philippines and near where I will do my workshops. And if ever my SIP gets approved. Maybe we can meet so you can also check how I do the workshops.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hey @kabayan! No worries. I appreciate and respect all your feedback and thanks for being straightforward and honest.

But give me a chance to prove my worth in handling Sandbox Academy. And yes, I am doing this solo (for now). But hopefully, by doing this initiative we can tap into other builders to educate and onboard more builders, artists & players. Not just here in the Philippines but globally. We already have builders interested in Sandbox Academy in their country, which makes me happy even though the SIP has not yet been approved. They are @Anandjoice from India, @MasPepper of Alamaya Studio from Indonesia, and @rocksymiguel from Ecuador.

I look up to VauxMachina and his partner ColdCuts&Cheese. And I’m so very proud of their achievements and knowing that they are fellow Filipinos who also educate and create awareness for Sandbox. So just imagine a lot of studios and builders will start teaching. Wouldn’t this help the Sandbox grow more as a community? Which is the main goal of every single builder, artist, streamer, landowner, and player here.

A million thanks again @kabayan!

1 Like

This is very interesting.
Even though I’m not familiar with @markbagogames work on education within the community, his experience as a veteran developer at Smobler is very important for our community.

Like many others, as you can see in the link, promote education within the community according to our available resources and time.

This SIP is very important for our TSB education community.
I believe it can open doors, even for ideas that I haven’t fully developed yet, such as creating an SIP for the Zero-to-Hero project, whether in English or for the Brazilian community.

However, with my experience in face-to-face classes at CEPASA, I have a philosophy much more focused on teaching using multilingual tools Apps rather than regionalized/local approaches, mainly due to the real lack of accessible and easy-to-understand technical content of this kind today in our community. Our newcomers are practically abandoned when it comes to beginner logic guides.

Although I see the situation this way, I believe that local education can also be fostered in some way and have a very positive impact locally.

@markbagogames, please create content for Twitter in English so that you can gain more visibility across the globe, while also helping to promote the TSB Creators community.
Create tutorials in English and participate more in Discord, Forum, etc… Its about your journey to develop games!

There are various tools available today to help with English, and this also unites us as educators who want to promote the teaching of logic, which is a task as complex as learning logic itself.

Your knowledge is highly valuable to us, developers! Shareeee!

Congratulations on the initiative and the effort to stay active in the TSB community.
I’m open to meetings or discussions if you’re interested.

Thank you, Dankoyy

2 Likes

Hey @markbagogames, the 2 weeks discussion on this SIP is almost over, I invite you to amend your SIP with comments/feedback from the community if necessary.
Cheers!

2 Likes

Mark and I spoke about Sandbox Academy in SANDDAO 12, full episode here https://youtu.be/xHPRJo5HzZE

And https://open.spotify.com/episode/2jNnecjtT34E2OTdFJ40Tp?si=x_5XgI5fQyycxGtLJVXteQ

2 Likes

Excited to share that my team and I are collaborating with @markbagogames and the Sandbox Academy! We’ll be teaching students how to use Magic Palette in the level design portion of their courses, empowering them with our tool during the early concept and production phases of their game development journey.

Can’t wait to see this SIP come to life soon!

3 Likes

I was at Blockchain Space as Marketing Director when Mark B. did great work with Sandbox Academy previously.

I briefly read the SIP and it seems sound to me.

Lanzer always has the deep-dive of Q’s!! I love that! : )

The podcast interview will certainly shed more light on Mark’s ambitions here, but my first instinct here is a big thumbs up.

2 Likes

Thank you so much @dankoyy ! I appreciate all your suggestions and will do all of those. I’m also excited about our call tonight to discuss Sandbox Academy.

Cheers!

Thank you so much @Pepe and your Magic Palette team! I’m looking forward to this awesome collaboration. Also can’t wait to see Sandbox Academy come to life!

Hey @theKuntaMC ! How are you doing! Thank you so much for liking Sandbox Academy. I have a lot of plans for this initiative not just here in the Philippines, but also globally.

1 Like

I think this proposal to create an academy in the Philippines focused on GM and VoxEdit to attract new Builders is excellent. I have always seen these tools as an amazing opportunity for learning, especially for young people. Although your proposal is aimed at college students, I think if approved, it could also have a great impact on kids.

Your proposal will not only attract more people interested in translating their ideas into games or developing their brands within the Web3 world and in this case, Sandbox, but could also open the door to a new educational approach that will benefit many more people in the future.

Creating video games or digital assets with accessible and easy-to-use tools, such as those offered by The Sandbox, can promote the development of essential skills from an early age. This has already been seen in some schools that implement Minecraft as part of their curriculum.

2 Likes

Thanks @rocksymiguel. Thank you very much for your support!

1 Like

I appreciate the shoutout @theKuntaMC !!

hello,

it seems that the work has already begun since you are already inspiring other creators. :busts_in_silhouette: :busts_in_silhouette:

I have no idea of ​​the cost of living in the Philippines so I am not going to comment on this point but overall this proposal makes sense.*

I am seduced by this idea, and you have my support.
I don’t know in what way exactly but I would like, on my own small level, to adapt this for the French-speaking community.
Thank you

D’ailleurs, s’il y a des français qui souhaite participer, voyons ce que l’on peut faire ensemble.

*@Kabayan , i appreciate your intervention, it’s a key point but i can’t evaluate. What do you think would be the ideal budget for this sip?

1 Like

Why would developers and builders living outside the Philippines vote yes to this proposal? What’s in it for me? How does it benefit someone living in Europe? What good is it to someone living in America? I don’t know if you’re aware, but soon the season will start. As in every season, multi accounts will exploit the system. And guess what? Most of the IDs that most multi accounts buy for the KYC process are either from the Philippines or India. People are literally selling these IDs on Twitter/X! With all due respect, I don’t give a damn if he learns Game maker and VoxEdit in the Philippines. If you really want to spend $SAND for such a ridiculous proposal, I have nothing to say to you. Did other people learn by studying at university? I wonder which university and which department of which university the content producers in Europe graduated from. Are you going to teach an application that someone with a strong will can learn in 1 month, someone who doesn’t care too much can learn in maximum 3 months, in 7 (1 month preparation :smiley: ) months?

The establishment of Dao is really good. We see what kind of other nonsense is produced/spent/used with ridiculous money.

4 Likes